Friday, April 12, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap


I had a lot of people asking about my homemade laundry soap recipe after I posted about it on Facebook, so I thought I would put the recipe out there for all to read.  This is recipe is all over Pinterest, so I'm not taking any credit for it.  My mom actually found this recipe and shared it with me.  I love it and have been using it for months.  I feel it works just as well as store bought stuff but it is tons cheaper and not full of harsh chemicals.  Normal laundry soap (okay I used to use Tide so that's what I'm going off of) is about $.25 per load.  This homemade stuff costs about $.01 per load!! That's some huge savings.  And you can choose whatever scent you'd like it to be, or leave it plain for a less intense flavor. :)

Here is the recipe:


Homemade Laundry Soap
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap
1/2 cup Borax powder
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer washing soda
(All found in the laundry aisle at walmart)

Grate or chop soap and add to sauce pan along with 6 cups water. Heat on medium until melted. Add powders and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into bucket along with 4 cups hot water. Add 1 gallon + 6 cups water and stir. (If you want to scent your soap, add at this point. Use any scent you like of essential oil. I use Airwick refill bottles and pour them directly in) let stand for 24 hours to gel.

This is a picture of the soap gel-ing up about 4 hours after I poured it into the bucket. 


Stir well and transfer to jars or bottles. (I use empty half gallon juice bottles that have been cleaned) Shake before each use as it tends to separate a bit. As a note, it tends to be a little more runny than store bought soap. Use 1/2 cup per load. Happy laundry-ing!


No comments:

Post a Comment